Monday, May 05, 2008

World Music Festival 2008

I went with a couple of my CG-mates last year. Sunday night in the Botanical Garden, and it was pouring heavily I remembered.
Sharing 2 miserable umbrellas and standing in the freezing wet and cold for 3 hours. Good experience :)

Fast forward to this year, 0nly Mark and I went. We also took on the Sunday slot.
Didn't rain and I thought this year's performance was even better.

The Tibetan dude,which opens the show with traditional,and religious Tibetan songs;credits given to his powerful soulful voice. How often do you hear of a Tibetan singer who had shared the same stage with U2 and Pearl Jam? He is that good.

Mark's favourites- Irish quintet named TEADA, which comes of next with different Irish pop-country/riverdance styles. Very happy feel. Think of free-flowing beers in a bar with people being care-free and dancing all day.

Third on the show.
LO COR DE LA PLANA. Dont bother pronouncing it.
Percussive band that belts out
popular religious church songs in Occitan (an old French tongue). Their musical styles closely resembles that from the Middle Eastern.
Their version of a Christmas song....is nowhere near the modern "Jingle bells" tune.
And somewhere along that tune,they sang "Hahaha" ...and not "HoHoHo" as we duly noted. :)

Photobucket
The only pic I took with my inferior 2.oM Camera phone

The next band AFENGINN which means ‘intoxication and strength' got to be my favorite.
Fusion of punk,ska,Nordic folk, world music and jazz elements.Different odd time signatures and very progressive.
How do I describe the Nordic part of the whole music...It is like the tune from a circus!
This is a really tight band with good showmanship and creative musical arrangements.

Last on the show.
Good old African music.
Different African jungle rhythms accompanied by their soulful chants.
Jungle techno. Lots of dancing acts, and entertaining antics
Makes you want to dance to their beats.

We did not stay on for the finale ....

On the side note...Breaking news....

Mark danced!
Danced,I tell ya.. !! On the open air night in the Botanical Gardens!
Actually, no big deal la. Haha
We all did. Everyone else did... at least the front ones.
It was a big fun event. Like a festive occasion.
A music festival it was..!

Click here for more info
  • -World Music Festival 2008-


  • Next year, anyone??



    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    la....... tak ajak!!! haha
    eh... The next time mark dances, remember to take video n upload on youtube for us to watch... once in a lifetime experience haha! :p

    Anonymous said...

    Ajak also you wont come one!! Haha
    Too bad I no camera to capture Mark's Sizzling Dancing moment :D